Arthur "Mike" Bredenbeck had a 34-year career specializing in Taxes and Trusts with a large regional law firm where he co-chaired the Trusts and Estates practice. He took early retirement from that firm to become the Chairman of the Board of California's largest orchid and packaged soil business, guiding it through a period of growth and development with national acquisitions, and international mergers. He is the managing principal of Coastside Consultants specializing in strategic planning for closely held businesses and their owner families. In his law practice, Mr. Bredenbeck directed the estate and tax planning for over 5000 individuals and more than 200 family owned businesses.
Mr. Bredenbeck has a significant record of leading in the practice areas of Estate, Trust and Tax Planning. He was certified as a Specialist in estate planning, probate and Trust law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization and was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He was elected Chair of the State Bar of California Section on Trusts and Estates, and also served as Chair of the State Bar Council of Sections. He was also a frequent lecturer and panel moderator in both the Continuing Education of the Bar series and for the State Bar. He is the author of several publications including "Successful Succession Planning" and "Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples", both publications of the continuing Education of the Bar program of the University of California.
Committed to giving back to the communities he serves, Mr. Bredenbeck has a long record of community leadership: Among other roles, he served for six years as Chair of the Emerald Bay Academy of Ethics and Leadership, a sixty seven acre youth camp and outdoor education facility serving over sixteen thousand youth each year on Catalina Island. He is also an advisor, and Past Chair of the San Mateo County Historical Museum, has served as an officer (and chair of the appeals panel) of the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants and chaired the Youth Suicide Prevention National Center. At the request of the Judges of San Mateo County he chaired the Civil Grand Jury investigating waste and mismanagement in county government. He served as Chairman of the San Mateo County Board of Assessment Appeals and as Chair of Mills Peninsula Hospital Foundation and Vice Chair of St. Luke's Hospital in San Francisco, both affiliates of Sutter Health Care System.
He chaired the Board of Trustees of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, successfully guided its $15 million capital campaign, and chaired the California Council of the Episcopal Church Foundation. In Honolulu he served as Chairman of the Advancement Board at St. Andrew's Cathedral, which initiated a four million dollar capital campaign.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified as a Specialist in estate planning, probate and Trust law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- California, 1964
- Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- “Successful Succession Planning” , Continuing Education of the Bar program of the University of California
- “Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples”, Continuing Education of the Bar program of the University of California
- Lecturer and panel moderator in both the Continuing Education of the Bar series and for the Sate Bar
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Sate Bar of California Section on Trusts and Estates, Chair
- State Bar Council of Sections, Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Emerald Bay Academy of Ethics and Leadership, Chair
- San Mateo County Historical Museum, Advisor, and Past Chair
- National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants, Officer (and chair of the appeals panel)
- Youth Suicide Prevention National Center, Chair
- San Mateo County Board of Assessment Appeals, Chairman
- Mills Peninsula Hospital Foundation, Chair
- St. Luke’s Hospital, Vice Chair
- Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, Board of Trustees, Chair
- Episcopal Church Foundation, California Council, Chair
- St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Advancement Board, Chairman