Arthur H. Bredenbeck
Arthur "Mike" Bredenbeck is a Director at Barulich Dugoni & Suttmann Law Group, Inc. Mike previously specialized in taxes and trusts with a large regional law firm, where he co-chaired the trusts and estates practice. He took early retirement from that firm to become the Chairman of the Board of California's largest orchid and packaged soil business, guiding it through a period of growth and development with national acquisitions and international mergers. He is the Managing Principal of Coastside Consultants, specializing in strategic planning for closely-held businesses and their owner families. In his law practice, Bredenbeck directed the estate and tax planning for over 5,000 individuals and more than 200 family-owned businesses.
Mike has a significant record of leading in the practice areas of estate, trust and tax planning. He was certified as a Specialist in Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, and he was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He was elected Chair of the State Bar of California Section on Trusts and Estates, and also served as Chair of the State Bar Council of Sections.
Mike has a long record of community leadership. Among other roles, he served for six years as Chair of the Emerald Bay Academy of Ethics and Leadership, a 67-acre youth camp and outdoor education facility serving over 16,000 youth each year on Catalina Island. He is also an advisor and past Chair of the San Mateo County Historical Museum, has served as an officer (and Chair of the Appeals Panel) of the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants, and he chaired the Youth Suicide Prevention National Center. At the request of the Judges of San Mateo County, he chaired the Civil Grand Jury investigating waste and mismanagement in county government. He served as Chairman of the San Mateo County Board of Assessment Appeals and as Chair of Mills-Peninsula Hospital Foundation and Vice-Chair of St. Luke's Hospital in San Francisco, both affiliates of Sutter Health Care System.
Mike also chaired the Board of Trustees of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, successfully guiding its $15M capital campaign, and he chaired the California Council of the Episcopal Church Foundation. In Honolulu, he served as Chairman of the Advancement Board at St. Andrew's Cathedral, which initiated a $4M capital campaign.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified as a Specialist in estate planning, probate and Trust law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- California, 1964
- Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- “Successful Succession Planning”, Continuing Education of the Bar Program of the University of California
- “Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples”, Continuing Education of the Bar Program of the University of California
- Lecturer and panel moderator in both the Continuing Education of the Bar series and for the State Bar
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- State Bar of California Section on Trusts and Estates, Chair
- State Bar Council of Sections, Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Emerald Bay Academy of Ethics and Leadership, Chair
- San Mateo County Historical Museum, Advisor, and Past Chair
- National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants, Officer (and chair of the appeals panel)
- Youth Suicide Prevention National Center, Chair
- San Mateo County Board of Assessment Appeals, Chairman
- Mills Peninsula Hospital Foundation, Chair
- St. Luke’s Hospital, Vice Chair
- Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, Board of Trustees, Chair
- Episcopal Church Foundation, California Council, Chair
- St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Advancement Board, Chairman